School History

 

 

 

St. Mary's Canossian College was founded in 1900 by the Institute of the Canossian Daughters of Charity, a Catholic Religious Institute whose Foundress is Magdalen of Canossa of the ancient noble family of Verona, Italy. Magdalen was canonized on 2 October 1988 for her sanctity and is honored by the Church as St. Magdalen of Canossa.

The beginnings of St. Mary's Canossian College were extremely modest. The school started only with 2 classrooms for boys and girls in response to the need for a school in Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon. The small school admitted 30 pupils and was named St. Mary's School.

The small beginnings developed rapidly as the population in Kowloon grew. In 1960 the enrolment was 2500 including the Primary Section. In the same year the Secondary Section was named "St. Mary's Canossian College", a grant-in-aid school for girls while the Primary Section was re-named "St. Mary's Canossian School".

 

 

 

 

 

 

[Contact Us]    [SMCC]    [SMCS]


2014 St. Mary's Past Students' Association.  All rights reserved.  Last updated on 19/06/2017.